Boy, it’s really cold outside so we wanted to help to keep your pets happy, healthy and warm during the rest of this chilly winter! Here is an article written by the Animal Foundation that includes very important information for taking care of your pets during the winter:
• Inside is the place to be! Never leave your dogs or cats outdoors. If they get too cold or wet, they can get sick, just like you!
• Keep your pets hydrated! Trying to stay warm will take up a lot of your pet’s energy. Make sure there is always fresh water available for your animals! Don’t forget — your pet will need extra food during the winter months, too!
• Dress for the season. Have a shorthaired dog? He may be more cozy in a doggie sweater during walks. Try to find a coat or sweater with a high collar (think turtleneck style) and coverage all the way to the belly. Just because you’re a pup doesn’t mean you can’t be fashionable!
• Cozy up! Just like you, your furry companion wants a warm place to sleep. A dog or cat bed with a blanket or pillow away from drafts is purr-fect! (Don’t forget — shelter pets want to stay comfy, too! Donate new and genty used linens to help them stay happy and healthy during the winter!)
• Never leave your pet alone in the car! In the winter, the car can become a refrigerator, causing your pet to freeze to death.
• Put the clippers away! Never shave your dog down to the skin in the winter — his coat will provide warmth. And if your dog needs a bath, dry him off completely before taking him outside on a walk.
• Heading for a snowy hike at Mt. Charleston? Don’t let your dog off leash. Dogs can lose their scent easily and become lost in the snow. Don’t forget to make sure your pet wears an ID tag and has a microchip (with up-to-date owner information linked to it).
• Be cautious when you start your car. The warm engines of parked cars are a magnet for outdoor cats. They love sleeping under the hoods when it’s cold outside, but when the motor starts, the kitty can be injured — or even killed — by the fan belt. Bang your hood loudly before start the car so cats have a chance to move away!
At Just Happy Hounds, we love ’em like you love ’em and we want your pets to be warm and cozy during this bitter winter weather!
Just Happy Hounds, LLC – Midtown located at 2222 5th Avenue South, Birmingham, Alabama 35233
– your premiere doggie daycare, dog boarding, grooming and training.